Friday, August 02, 2013

to the sweetest 8 year old...



To my dear sweet Brianna,
These birthday posts seem to come faster and faster with each passing year.  Your birthday is always rather hectic; we have participated in the Relay for Life each year on or around your birthday.  You always absolutely love going to the Relay around your birthday and are especially excited that this year it is ON your birthday. I would like to think that you love it so much because you are such a giving and kind child, and while that is certainly true…I think part of the reason you love it so much is because you get to play games, eat junk food and stay up entirely too late.  Sounds like a perfect birthday celebration to me! 
This past year has brought so many changes, but you handled them all in stride.  I have seen you thrive since we moved to Iowa and it makes this mama’s heart very happy, I always worry about making the right decisions where you and Bryce are concerned, but this past year has showed me that moving here was a good one for your and your brother. I laughed as I told someone that you were the kid that everyone wants to be friends with, and that too makes me so happy.  You are a sweet and kind young lady; you love to have friends around and to play in a group…but you are also content (for a while) reading a book or playing with your dolls in your room.  You still love to sing and dance, you are always smiling the biggest when music is on and you are dancing around. 
I have seen you push outside of your comfort zone this year by attending UD for Kids.  You were insistent that you wanted to go and you would participate even though you didn’t know anyone.  You went and you had so much fun.  You made some beautiful dresses for your dolls and learned some fun dance moves.  After the first night as I tucked you into bed you whispered to me that you were a little scared and shy at first but that you really had a lot of fun.  It is OK to be scared and shy when you try something new, but the fact that you overcame that makes me so proud of the young lady you are becoming.  Can I let you in on a little secret sweetie, your mama isn’t as brave as you…I have let my fear keep me from doing something new…I am soo soo incredibly proud of you for pushing outside your comfort zone. 
You love basketball, and are becoming a scrappy little player…with the floor burns to prove it! I can’t wait to see how improve and grow in the future. You have really enjoyed softball this year, you are gaining confidence and trying your best, I think if you give it some time and practice you’ll become   quite the player.  But, even if you decide you don’t want to play basketball or softball anymore, I will always remember this year watching you play softball and watching your eyes light up as  you talked about basketball.
A month ago or so I saw a girl who was probably 17 in church, blondish hair pulled up in a pony tail, athletic shorts and tennis shoes and the sight of her made me catch my breath, because there was something about her that made me think of you.  It was as if I got a glimpse at what you were going to look like at that age. You are a beautiful girl both inside and out; you laugh easily and love fiercely.  You are the best baby girl.  You light up the world and I can’t wait to see what comes next for you.  EIGHT…how did this happen so quickly??





Hope this is the best birthday so far….love you to pieces!
Love always,
mama

No comments: