Wednesday, January 02, 2013

i'm baaaack...with a book review (more updates soon...i promise!)

Christmas came a little early this year when the newest installment in A Modern Witch series popped into my email.  I couldn't wait to sit down and start this book.  Unfortunately, I did have to wait a couple of days, but when I started it, I couldn't put it down.  I read it in 2 sittings (it would have been 1 but it was Christmas and I had to spend some time with my family!)
With her latest installment Geary brings back all of our favorite witches and we get to learn a great deal more about a witch that makes a brief appearance in the first book of the series.
After Jamie and Lauren walk into Beth's circle in A Modern Witch they do some serious damage and leave Beth to pick up the pieces.  Beth is haunted and also strangely drawn into the offer of training that Jamie made to her the day he and Lauren came to the circle.  When Beth is transported into the Realm on a fluke, Beth is completely unraveled and Lauren knows they have to  repair the damage they have done.  Beth agrees to come to Berkley to train and right away they can all tell she is different, in her learning process and in her sense of community.  When Beth discloses that she has autism, the community of witches tries hard to adapt and help Beth learn in the best way they can.  Nell particularly has a difficult time relating and understanding Beth, which shakes her to her core.  A Different Witch is an amazing story of overcoming and embracing our differences for the betterment of all involved and how in the end maybe we aren't so different after all.
I loved the fifth book of this series as much as I loved the first four.  I found myself relating to Nell as a mother and as the heart of a family, to want to protect those you love so fiercely that you are scared to let the "different" in and also to Beth to want to be accepted as who you are and not just looked at as "different".  I know I have said it a thousand times but I. LOVE. THIS. SERIES. I got the first three books of this series in paperback for Christmas, you know it is a keeper when you not only have it on your e-reader, but also want it on your bookshelf!  Happy Reading!

**In the interest of full disclosure, I was given this book by the author, but all opinions are mine and mine alone

No comments: