Friday, August 06, 2010

note to self...do not travel at night...

It seems to me that traveling with small children (say 5 and 1 1/2), it would be a good idea to travel at night. They are tired, it is bedtime, cars make kids sleepy. Apparently not my kids, or I should say kid. Brianna has always been a great traveler. She slept when she was little and when she got a little older she would sleep or play with dolls or "read" books. Never a problem. Bryce on the other hand has been a horrific traveler from the start. He sleeps only about 1/2 hour to an hour on our 3 1/2 hour drive to my parents house. This wouldn't bother me except that he feels the need to scream bloody murder for the rest of the time unless being constantly entertained. Yes, we have a dvd player, and no it doesn't help. Pretty much the only way to keep him from screaming is to keep shoving fruit snacks at him. (Not a great plan, but you haven't heard that kid scream in the car). Tonight he slept about an hour and a half and then just kicked, screamed, flailed around. It was horrible. I climbed in the back to sit next to him and he hit me, didn't want to have anything to do with me. I know he is just tired and doesn't particularly like being restrained, but geesh! We spend so much time in our car and I am now dreading the next few weeks because we'll be making this trip 2 more times before August is done. Anyone have any suggestions? Besides the obvious...STAY HOME ALREADY! That isn't really an option at this point, but I am going to heed that advice in the future. I'm begging you blogland....HELP!! Now I must go try to sleep because I have to be up at the butt crack of dawn (4:45-5am) to go pump gas with our Relay team to raise some more money! If you are in or around the Dyersville area...we'll be at Casey's from 6am until 4pm. Stop in and say hi...I'll be the one with the toothpicks holding my eyelids up! :)

1 comment:

Sarah Weipert said...

Beckett is the same way...that little turd! He is also immune to the DVD player and the car hypnosis. I think the only thing that has really helped is to try to do different things. Like sing songs and do the actions (difficult for the mom who has to turn around, but if it works, totally worth it). Kids songs, or just fun, upbeat music works. Reaching back and tickling is always fun. And lots of stops. That is the best advice I can give you. I will be interested to read what other responses you get. I need ideas as well.