Tuesday, March 10, 2009

gloomy tuesday...

So, here we are, another rainy day. I am in a funk. I think part of it is the weather, the cold, gray, rainy weather we've been having for what seems like forever. We've been cooped up in the house for what seems like an eternity. I know, I know...I could load the kids up and take them to the mall play area or to target and walk around...but the thought of bundling them up taking them out in the rain, wind, whatever...is not all that appealing.

I'm trying to think of stuff we can do that doesn't cost money, that doesn't involve hours of tv, and is short enough that we can do in between Bryce's feedings. While he is doing great at sleeping through the night, he makes up for the lack of eating by eating every 2 hours during the day. I probably should try to give him an extra ounce at each feeding, but he has a tendency to spit up, so I don't want to push it. Brianna has been having some set-backs. She had 4 accidents last week, and she wet the bed last night and had another accident today.

Beyond that, I think I'm just feeling a little burnt out. I love being home with my kids, but I feel like I never get 5 minutes to myself. The only time I get to myself is at the gym, but the gym is not a relaxing, enjoyable time for me. I go because I have to, and yes I feel good after I work out, but it is not the thing I would choose to do if I could do anything. The thing is is that I don't know what I want to do that is enjoyable anymore. I love to read, but I can't just sit in the house and read because if I am here, there is no quiet. And it seems silly to go somewhere else to read. I guess I need a hobby, but I don't even know where to start with that.

On top of all of this, I have to find time in the day to do my bookkeeping work and finish my transcription class, so any "free" time I do have I try to work on that stuff.

So, I am at an impasse, I need things to do with my kids, and I need to figure out something I can do to rejuvenate myself so I can be the kind of mom and wife I want to be. I am trying to come up with crafts that Brianna and I can do together, but am coming up short with ideas.

So, I'm posing some questions to you blog readers...
1. What are some of your craft ideas for a 3-year-old?
2. What do you do to give yourself some time to re-energize?
3. Have you experienced set-backs in potty training and what do you do about them?

1 comment:

Holly said...

Did you see my post today about finding craft stuff in the dollar area at Target? One thing I do is just have a lot of arts and crafts stuff on hand (colored feathers, little rhinestones, stickers, shaped confetti, ribbon, tissue paper) and just open the bin and let the kids find whatever they want and create. If Brianna needs more direction than that...I found this blog that is more for kindergarten and older but you might get a few other ideas from it.
http://www.artprojectsforkids.org

We do those Foamies art project kits all the time. They can be found at Michael's and I think I've seen them in the craft aisle of Walmart too. Michael's has a dollar area too that might spark some ideas. I tend to just wonder through the store and see what jumps out at me that they might be interested in.

As for "me" time. I just am selfish sometimes and tell Andrew I need to sit and read or do whatever. He understands so he usually doesn't make me feel too guilty about it. When the kids were younger, I actually took most Saturdays took myself in the late morning and through the afternoon. And yes, sometimes I would just go sit at Starbucks and read for an hour or so. Or I would go wander around Barnes and Noble just to be out of the house by myself and think about something other than the kids.

You'll figure it out. But my advice is, even if you feel its selfish, so what. Take some time to yourself! You NEED to do that in order to keep yourself happy! :-)