Saturday, December 03, 2022

fourteen

 Dear Bryce,

I honestly don't know how we got here so quickly. It seems impossible that you are 14 already, I can't even wrap my brain around it. Quite frankly, you've always been an old soul in a little kids body, you (generally) act much older than you are and have been able to have a conversation with literally anyone since the time you were very young, but now you're not such a kid anymore. You have an intensity and drive, when it comes to things you love, that is admirable. You put your whole heart and soul into what you do (minus maybe your school work or household chores😜) and it is so very fun to watch you do the things you love. This week has not been the best for you...being sick the last 7+ days and missing out on wrestling meets has been really hard for you, but I have a feeling it will drive you to make up for lost time and you'll be back to your old self in no time. It blows my mind that you are getting your permit soon...too bad the DMV isn't open on Saturdays, the thought of you driving is equal parts terrifying and exciting, it unlocks a whole new set of worries for me and moves you a step closer to not needing your dad and I as much. We've still got some time before you can drive alone...but it is looming ever closer. From the moment you decided to come 4 weeks early, you have done things in your own time and in your own way. You have to find your own path and figure things out yourself, even if someone can point you in the right direction. I know someday this will be such a benefit to you and that you'll find a balance of taking advice and finding your own way. This year has not been easy, we've butted heads more time than I care to admit, but through it all I love you even more than I did that day you came into my life and I am so damn proud of the man you are becoming. Keep being you, kid...your future is so very bright. I love you more than words. I hope you have the best birthday and year ahead. I can't wait to see what come next.

Love you always, 

Mom

No comments: